Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Teen Writing Workshop



As the sign says (if you can read it), I taught a writing workshop to teens last night at the library. :-)



Aren't they wonderful? They're not all in the photo, as some had escaped before I remembered my camera.

We started right away with a writing exercise and then did the introductions. Then we went over "show vs. tell," in which I went through the latest draft of my novel looking for an example of telling. (Sadly, I found one on page four.) After that, we spoke a bit about using the five senses in narrative to bring the writing alive to the reader. After that, we wrote the same paragraph again, but everyone had to use at least three of the five senses. Most of the young adults then graciously offered to read both of their paragraphs out loud to the class so we could hear the differences. (Brave souls!)

I don't know about them, but I had a great time. :-) Who doesn't when surrounded by writing friends, talking about great books and the craft of writing?

Oh, and the library asked me today if I'd be willing to do it again in October, to start out their Teen Reading Week. I'm honored--it's like being the opening speaker!

8 comments:

Elise Murphy said...

That is so awesome! I'm really pleased for you that it went so well - it sounds like it educated them and fed your soul all at the same time.

I'm starting to feel motivated to offer something similar at my local library. Care to share your lesson plans???

Jacqui said...

They're lucky to have you! I'm glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Amber!

Thank you so much for the awesome Teen Writing Workshop. I was glad to get more info on editors and publishing stuff, plus great writing tips :) I was gonna write you a e-mail but I lost your business card :(

~~~~~~~~

Unknown said...

Congrats Amber. Sounds like a wonderful night for everyone.

Amber Lough said...

Hi Emily! Here's my addy: ambotchka @ me dot com.

cindy said...

wow, amber. i am SO impressed. i'll have to get tips from you as it's stuff i should do but am too scared to! and you just went and did it!

it's so thrilling to see these teens who obviously LOVE writing and reading to show up for the workshop! yay!

Mary Witzl said...

You did a lot better than I did the first time I had to teach writing. I bamboozled half the class and bored the other half to tears. But it is good fun, isn't it? And it's great that they asked you to do it again!

Amber Lough said...

Mary, I just checked our your profile and saw you lived in Japan--I went to school there for a few years, as a kid. (Japanese school, not the American one.) Then, many years later, my hubby and I got married there in a Buddhist Temple. :-) It was awesome.