Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Phew--Aliens are OK!

This just gave me a little chuckle:

According to the AP, the Vatican's chief astronomer says that believing in aliens does not contradict faith in God.

The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said that the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.


Now, if only the Catholic church could go back in time and un-burn-at-the-stake those who made such comments long ago...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha. Like Djordano Bruno was burnt "in Nomine Domini"...

Amber Lough said...

I just googled Mr. Bruno, and you're right... just the sort of person I was referring to. It's interesting, though, that the reason he was burned at the stake is not known--his file is "missing." Hmm...

Val said...

He actually had a theory about the universe. He claimed that there was a strong possibility of existence other worlds like the earth and aliens living there. After inquisitive justice he was burnt in 1600.

Laini Taylor said...

It's so funny you mention this, Amber. I had the same impulse to post it on my blog, but didn't get around to it. Speaking of aliens and Catholics, you might like this smartypants sci-fi novel: Eifelheim, by Michael Flynn, about physics and monks and aliens. Really!

Elizabeth said...

I'm a recovering Catholic from my childhood. They are so full of contradictions and archaic views I'm shocked that anyone follows them anymore.
Yay for the Aliens, they have the pope's thumb's up.

Stephanie Perkins said...

Oh, goodie. I was waiting for them to OK this before forming my own opinion on the matter.

Hee hee.

(Love the name of your blog, btw!)