Saturday, October 31, 2009

NaNoWriMo

I just signed up for NaNoWriMo. Dude, I must be crazy. November is always the month of insanity for me, so why add to it?

On Thursday, I am flying to Washington for the Western Washington SCBWI's Writing Retreat program (wheeeeeeee!) and will be tired, busy, brain-drained, and happy when I come home. How will I write 2k words a day in my NaNo novel? I have no earthly idea. My goal this month is to try.

November is also Henry's birth month, so his first birthday is coming up.

And Thanksgiving.

And Jim's final long stretch before the end of the semester, which means lots more studying, grading, and homework which will keep him away.

But if I write (even pure unadulterated crap) at any moment I get, then it should benefit my writing career. Right?

Oh. I am focusing on improving my plotting abilities this month, too, and characterization.

And I am sort of cheating. I know, we're not supposed to cheat. And we shouldn't admit to it publicly on our blogs, but I feel like I have to. I won't include any prose I've already written, but I am going to re-write the first portion of one of my novels. So it's an edge. I know my characters, have sketched them out (and printed off "photos"), and am working on plot. I am hoping that NaNo will get my first draft in gear.

December can be all about rewriting and perfection.

6 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

Amber, I will totally make an exception for you if you would like to join. :) (Because you are awesome). I just didn't want people trickling in all month as it would be hard for me to manage.

A xx

Amber Lough said...

Yay! You're the best. For this, I will dress up and take a photo of myself and post it on my blog later today.

deborah freedman said...

I am AMAZED at how much you manage to get done. Have a great time in WA!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with NaNo, and give us progress reports.

Kim said...

Good luck with NaNo!

Unknown said...

absolutely! writing crap is still writing ;)

being able to write well is knowing the difference...but that doesn't mean that your 1st draft won't stink...most do...probably all! ;)