Sunday, May 20, 2007

Copyeditor's Handbook

I got my copy of the handbook yesterday and have already read the first section - amazing, since the Queen is teething hard-core. The book has prompted me to take some grammar quizzes online. I didn't know how fun grammar could be until today! (I did know about punctuation being fun, though - from Eats, Shoots and Leaves.)

My editing website has been updated, but I'm still working on the wording. It's not quite right, just yet. I'm taking a copyediting course, which should help me figure out more of what to say.

Oh, yes. One more thing. We took Elizabeth to see her first movie today - though it was more for us than for her. Which movie? Shrek, of course. Who wouldn't want to see a green ogre on screen the first time they go to the movies? She did very well for a nine month-old... meaning, she lasted about thirty minutes. We walked around, nursed, played with the tracking lights on the floor, and stood in the back by the door. I missed the last fifteen minutes or so, but we enjoyed it none-the-less. The best part: in one scene, the princesses are clapping while Fiona opens a Baby Shower gift. Elizabeth saw them clapping - and she clapped with them. It was too cute!

How much writing have I been getting on? Sadly, not much, but I do have a date with the coffee shop tomorrow. When my husband gets home, we're trading off so I can get some much-needed storymaking done. I just can't let Rohana and the others sit in place for too long, or they'll invade my dreams with fists shaking and fingers wagging.

I got my hair cut today, too. A week of clouds, no car, and a fussy baby made me feel sorely deflated, so I took off all alone to get my hair changed. It didn't come out quite like I had wanted, but I like it.