Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Editorial Letter, or, I Have a Job!


Yesterday was a big mail day. Probably the biggest mail moment in my writing life, because I got my editorial letter and my marked-up manuscript. I knew already that the revisions would entail a lot of work, but that didn't matter. I love working on my book. I love making it better. And, I can finally say, I really do love this story. (But you might want to ask me about it in three months!)

Anyway, I'm sure that those of you who are working toward this moment or who have gone through it will understand how excited I was. (Even if I don't look it.) 

Me, on a tiny bench, with my package:


Pulling it out of the envelope:


I had another picture of me holding it up, but it has lots of addresses on it, so I'm not posting that. I am, however, going to show you what happened next. For the past year, I've been saying that I wanted to buy a certain bottle of whiskey whenever I sold my book. Yesterday, I finally did it! My critique partner (Emma Kress) and I celebrated in style while we read over the comments my editor made. And I must add, this is fine whiskey. Just don't drink it all at once. ;-)

Me, with a bottle of Redbreast Irish Whiskey:



And our toast:


Aren't those the cutest little cups?

And now? I must get to work. I've got until December to add a bunch of scenes (I underwrite, as I've said before). Oh, and I have to get that sequel going, too! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! Such an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing it with us, and what wonderful taste you have in liquor :) Best of luck as you continue down the publishing path!

Mirka Breen said...

Very nice and cheersy!
(Noticed that you didn't share the marked up MS- very wise. ;=} )

Llehn said...

Enjoy the moment!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

LOVE THIS! I love that you are celebrating and taking it all in. Congrats!

Your book sounds amazing! Can't wait to read it!

(fellow ABLA client!)

Vijaya said...

Amber, I love to see you in love with your book -- it's going to be even greater than you think it is!
Congratulations!